07 July 2009

Week 6's Shares

I made my share pickups solo this week. Well, not completely solo, I did pile the pups into the car with me. HB and RiRi were not to be deprived of their weekly ride in the car to the farm just because J was off blowing things up in Las Vegas. So, I snapped the boys into their leads and popped on their bandannas and let them jump into the back of the car. Off we went for a lovely sunshiny ride to the farm.

We were on a mission. Not only were we scooping up our shares for the week, we were hunting for some about-to-go-out-of-season goodies. Garlic scapes and strawberries were at the top of our list. I had a feeling I was going to get a few garlic scapes as part of our veggie share, but I definitely needed a whole lot more.

Here's what we got this week:
The sign was not completely correct, though. The fruit share, as in weeks past, was not correct. There were no raspberries to be found - not really a disappointment for me, though, as I'm allergic to the bumpy red beauties. When I eat a raspberry, I start to turn into a plump bumpy red berry-like version of myself. I ended up with two pints of blueberries and one pint of gooseberries.

Have you ever heard of braising mix? I hadn't until just recently. Evidently, when the greens get too mature and tough to be eaten raw, they get mixed together and sold as braising mix - best eaten after cooking. I'm not going to braise any of these greens, though, because I'm a rebel and I'll never never be any good. I'm planning a lovely saute to stuff into a quesadilla or pannini or something of the like.

The two (much bigger) zucchini we got this week brought us up to critical mass in squash, so my wheels have begun spinning. I can't decide whether to grill or smother these little green beauties. I suppose both the weather and J's preference will decide for me.

The lettuces had me most excited. I immediately washed and spun both heads when I got home and stored them, rolled in paper towels, in a zip top bag. I knew a couple of lovely fresh salads would be in order this week. The fun part would be the crafting of the just-right dressings for these lovely soft greens.

The broccoli, bok choi, and snowpeas will find their way into either a fried rice or lo mein dish - probably the one I bring to a friend's house for a party. They'll add nice crunch to an otherwise starchy dish.

The rainbow chard is kind of a question mark in my head. I know I can saute it with garlic and olive oil, but I'm always sauteing new greens with garlic and olive oil. Some internet research is in order here. I need something new, something different, something cool to do with this little bundle of chard.

Gooseberries? That's a big question mark and I've already done quite a bit of research. I know that I'll have to thoroughly wash them and cut off the tops and tails before I do anything with them. I've read recipes for gooseberry pie, crumble, and fool. None of them turn me on. I think I'll have to work up the courage to taste a berry first (I know they'll be tart) and let that inspire their ultimate use.

The blueberries taunt me with all of their potential - jam, muffins, pancakes, pie, syrup. This is the opposite of the gooseberry situation - I've got too many options here. What to do...what to do... I'll figure it out.

The garlic scapes are destined for big batches of garlic scape pesto (garlic scapes, almonds, Parmesan cheese, salt, and olive oil), most of which will be frozen for use during the fall and winter.

The strawberries? They found their way in to freezer jam (both with sugar and with Splenda), cooked jam, and sorbet. I know the season is coming to an end, so I'm buying up every quart of strawberries I can find and putting them up for the bleak strawberry-less days of winter that lie ahead.

Enough of talking...let's get down to the cooking!

4 comments:

  1. Ways to get rid of zucchini:
    1-grate them into your tuna salad, add shredded parmesan cheese, and a touch of mayo. You need very little mayo because of all the other yummies!

    2-grate them into a round Pirex dish, add veggies, ham, parmesan, and about 10 eggs. Mix together. (I love to squish it in my hands!) Bake. Frittata for breakfast!

    Zucchini gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like zucchini bread, and it is not that hard to make, I have done it :-)
    Good Luck!
    ~Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ladies! I've got plenty of ideas for the zucchini, I just can't decide between them! This will probably be solved when I hit the greenmarket today and scoop up enough zucchini to make all of my favorite recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had zucchini in our veggie chili yesterday, and in chopped salad tonight. Still a few more to get through -- I'm thinking sauteed with olive oil herbs of provence and garlic, served up with orchiette and fresh mozzerella.

    Tell me about bread baking -- are you using a bread machine, or really baking in the oven? How labor intensive is it? I LOVE fresh baked bread, but these days it would have to be pretty easy for me to pull it off regularly. Erin

    ReplyDelete